Gain Meaningful Experience through an Engineering Internship with Lockstep
In Summer 2021, Lockstep introduced our first internship for software engineers. We were amazed at the response our program received from the academic community, and grateful for the opportunity to welcome our first class of interns. It’s very rewarding to guide engineers early in their careers on how to be effective while programming within a business setting, as well as a sizable team environment.
Now, it’s time to announce the Lockstep Fall 2021 Software Engineering Internship. Based on our learning experiences over the summer, we’ve added the following:
- More rigorous programming tests
- A robust onboarding process to help all interns be productive from their first day on the job
- More introductory tasks prepared for intern candidates
- A wider variety of project definitions
- An upfront calendar to answer questions about dates
As before, this internship is intended to give programmers just starting out in their careers, a chance to shine. We want to give candidates the opportunity to learn from our talented senior staff to gain career growth support from our executive team and give everyone the experience of contributing to the Lockstep accounting platform.
Internship Program Experience
What can you expect from a Lockstep Software Engineering internship?
The Lockstep engineering team is filled with talented senior engineers, each of whom got their start thanks to a mentor who guided us and gave them opportunities early in their career. This program is Lockstep’s way of giving back to the next generation of engineers.
“When I started my internship, I knew nothing about database access, API building, or back-end development, and now I’m working on new API features and endpoints daily. It’s been surreal watching the API we started with grow and become connected to a website front-end completely made by my fellow interns.” – Charlie Taylor, Lockstep Intern, Summer 2021
Our leaders have worked on internship programs across all organization sizes, honing our techniques to help interns be successful. Among our principles:
- Internships work best when they have a clearly defined project.
- Interns need to learn how to solve problems, not just how to execute a few tasks.
- The first few weeks at a new job are critical, and managers must set aside sufficient time to work with and coach interns to build their confidence.
- We pair interns with a senior engineer in addition to a direct manager.
- Interns need regular mini-performance reviews to see how others evaluate their work.
“If there’s one thing I want to pass onto future interns, it’s to always look ahead for room where you can grow. Having said that, don’t feel afraid to pick up the hard tickets. Taking on something that you aren’t completely comfortable with allows you to ask smart questions and get feedback from the senior developers.” – Loc Chuong, Lockstep Intern, Summer 2021
Interested in applying for our Fall 2021 Internship? Applications are open through August 9. Learn more about how to apply on Lockstep’s Career Page.
Lockstep connects the world’s accounts receivable (AR) and accounts payable (AP) departments so they can work better together. Founded in 2019, Lockstep automates the sharing of accounting data between B2B trading partners to keep their books in sync and accelerate payments. Based in Seattle, Lockstep’s connected accounting cloud improves cash flow and accounting efficiency.